Newbie of the Year
A poster who has joined the community within the last few months and has already made a significant contribution.
The following members have been nominated as the community's favourite newcomer in 2005...
Veteran of the Year
A poster who's been around for ages and who always makes a valued contribution to the community.
Your nominations for the community's favourite old timer are...
Website of the Year
Best U2-related website, whether official or unofficial.
Well, there's no sign of U2.com in your shortlist! ;p The nominees are...
LJ Community of the Year
Best U2-related community on LiveJournal.
Your favourite communities to choose from are...
Concept of the Year
Anything that has captured your imagination within the U2 universe this year.
This year, we 'aave been mostly loiking...
- Live 8
- Make Povery History / ONE Campaign
- Music Rising (The Edge replacing instruments lost in Hurricane Katrina)
- Texting names & holding up phones during One
- The Edge is from the future
- U2 inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
- Vertigo Tour stadium stage setup
Enormous Thread of the Year
A post in this community that provoked an absolutely massive response for whatever reason.
And your nominees for comment frenzy of the year are...
- 20 questions
- Backstory of Mr MacPhisto
- Best and worst lyrics
- Introductions to U2
- I really freaking wanted this shirt... / ONE Africa shirts
- Is there any way to take your name *off* the ONE Campaign?
- Propaganda flame wars
- Sexiest songs
- U2 vs Coldplay
Quote of the Year (LJ members)
A classic quote uttered by one of the community members this year.
The following quotes have inspired, amused or otherwise stuck in people's minds...
- "Complete hilarity upon noticing that the baby hippo actually seems to believe he *is* Bono and is doing the trademark camera pose with mouth wide open!"
~ canadanne makes a side-splitting observation
- "Friends don't let friends wear mullets."
~ gloria269 sums up the "what to do about Larry's hair" thread
- "Oh yes, and his birthday is 7th May, he's a Taurus, and his interests include phoning celebrity pals, boating in Switzerland, and cucumber sandwiches."
~ canadanne responds to a request for information about Mr MacPhisto
- "Play Mofo!"
~ zoostation has only one thing to say upon meeting Bono
- "They might as well just put a chainsaw on stage and leave it running for forty-five minutes."
~ axver is less than impressed by the choice of support act for U2's Australasian shows
Quote of the Year (the band)
A classic quote uttered by a member of U2 this year.
Your favourite things to emerge from the mouths of U2 have been...
- "Adam Clayton would have taken a bullet for me. I guess that's what it's like to be in a truly great rock & roll band."
~ Bono's Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction speech
- "Am I a massive shagger? Of course I am. Ask the missus."
~ Bono in Q magazine
- "And the spaceship landed and The Edge got out. And we said, 'Where are you from?'. And The Edge said, 'I'm from the future'. And Larry said, 'What's it like?'. And Edge said, 'It's better!'"
~ Bono recalls how U2 first met their guitarist
- "Bono hits us. Sometimes really hard."
~ The Edge shares a secret on the Conan O'Brien show
- "How do singers warm up? Me-me-me-me-me!"
~ Bono tells Cat Deeley a joke
- "I am, in the end, the technology guy of U2. Which really, all it means is I can fix the printer. You turn it on. I don't tell them that."
~ The Edge speaking at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction
- "I'm a scribbling, cigar-smoking, wine-drinking, bible-reading band man. A show off (laughs)... who loves to paint pictures of what I can't see. A husband, father, friend of the poor and sometimes the rich. An activist travelling salesman of ideas... Chess-player, part-time rock star, opera singer, in the loudest folk group in the world..."
~ Bono in conversation with Michka Assayas
- "I just couldn't help thinking of the headline: 'U2 go down on Noel Edmonds' chopper'."
~ Larry recalls U2's Live Aid entrance, 20 years on
- "Look, it's a little odd for me, when people walk up and say, 'We played One at our wedding - thank you so much.' Did you ever *hear* the lyrics?! The spleen and the bile, and you walked down the aisle to that one, did you?!"
~ Bono goes off on a WTF rant in Mojo magazine
- "The first time I ever saw it, I didn't laugh. I wept."
~ The Edge on 'This Is Spinal Tap'
- "We were doing it completely arseways."
~ Adam's description of the troubled Achtung Baby sessions
- "What is striking is there's a 'things to say from stage' section, and it's pretty hilarious. "Hello. My name's Bono. We're called U2. We're now going to play a song we've never played before and we're going to make it up." Hahaha! The others always reckoned I was hyping the value of the lost lyrics to explain the blank sheets of paper when they were recording October."
~ Bono reveals the true contents of the recently recovered October notebooks
- "Y'know, if Bono left we could carry on. If I left, we'd be screwed."
~ Larry offers his wisdom
- "Your mission is possible!"
~ Bono changes the lyrics to Vertigo at Live 8
Community Feature of the Year
An aspect of this LJ community that you've particularly liked.
Items you have enjoyed this year are...
- Band members' best individual performance polls (by thanks4thefish) - reminder
- Community mascot: Bono the baby hippo (found by canadanne) - reminder
- Missing single off each album polls (by zoostation) - reminder
- Song Of The Day (started by hue126) - reminder
- Top five songs / Top five album polls (by rockingthemike) - reminder
- Track-by-track comparison polls (by canadanne) - reminder
Most Comical Poster
The community member who regularly cracks you up the most.
And the nominees for the community's funniest member are...
Expert of the Year
A community member whose knowledge of U2 (either in general or on a specific topic) is impressive to all.
For that tricky U2 question, the community has picked the following members as its phone-a-friend options...
The most impressive or amusing U2-related icon you've seen this year.
The following gems have stood out amid the multitude of U2 icons created every day:
- Acrobat (by obviousenigma):
- Chris&Bono (by sapphires13 and specialcamper):
- Drum (by sapphires13):
- Dorkus (by zoostation):
- Hippo (by sapphires13):
- MacPhisto (by sapphires13):
- OMG (by zoostation):
- SATS (by zoostation):
- Sexed (by zoostation):
- Slowly (by hot_coffee):
- Writhing (by sapphires13):
U2 community member with the best username.
Your favourites are...
Band Member of the Year
The member of U2 that you feel deserves a special award this year for whatever reason.
Unsurprisingly all four members got themselves nominated, along with one surprise addition....
- Adam Clayton
- Larry Mullen Jr
- Larry Mullen Jr's mullet
- The Edge
Live Song of the Year
Any song that's been performed live by U2 this year (either on the tour or elsewhere) which has blown you away in its latest incarnation.
This year you were awestruck by...
- City Of Blinding Lights
- Love And Peace Or Else
- Miss Sarajevo
- New Year's Day
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- The Electric Co
- The Fly
- The Wanderer
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- Zoo Station
Performance of the Year
A *specific* U2 performance of a song this year that has stood out above all others.
Your suggestions for U2's most brilliant musical appearance of 2005 are...
- Beautiful Day (releasing doves) - Live 8
- Love And Peace Or Else - Katrina benefit concert
- Miss Sarajevo - debut appearance in Amsterdam
- Miss Sarajevo - official release from Milan
- New Year's Day (red & white flag) - Katowice, Poland
- One (with Mary J Blige) - Katrina benefit concert
- One / Unchained Melody - Live 8
- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (with Paul McCartney) - Live 8
- The Wanderer - Johnny Cash tribute
- Until The End Of The World - Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction
- Vertigo - Live 8
Concert of the Year
Your favourite U2 show of 2005.
Quite a big "shortlist" here - there were almost no concerts that received multiple nominations, so I didn't know how to narrow it down to a reasonable handful. You can click the links to see the show summaries on U2tours.com, plus I've tried to pick out a few highlights as reminders of individual shows.
- San Diego - 28th March (opening night)
- Denver - 20th April
- Seattle - 25th April
- Chicago - 9th May
- Chicago - 10th May (Bono's birthday)
- Chicago - 12th May
- East Rutherford - 18th May (with local band for ISHFWILF)
- Boston - 28th May (last show of the first leg)
- Twickenham - 19th June
- Dublin - 24th June
- Dublin - 25th June
- Dublin - 27th June
- Katowice - 5th July (Polish flag for NYD)
- Amsterdam - 16th July (tour debut of Miss Sarajevo)
- Milan - 20th July (with symphony orchestra for OOTS)
- Barcelona - 7th August (Edge's birthday party)
- Toronto - 12th September (debut of Fast Cars)
- Toronto - 16th September (with local band for Out Of Control)
- Toronto - 17th September (Pop Muzik / Discotheque)
- Minneapolis - 23rd September (debut of Crumbs)
- New York - 14th October
- Philadelphia - 17th October (with Bruce Springsteen)
- Los Angeles - 1st November (Larry's birthday party / EXIT play Out Of Control)
- Las Vegas - 5th November (with Brandon Flowers and Mary J Blige)
- Miami - 14th November
- Montreal - 28th November (Love Will Tear Us Apart with The Arcade Fire)
- Boston - 4th December (surprise third encore)
- Boston - 5th December (Christmas theme)
- Hartford - 7th December
- Portland - 19th December (last show of the year)
Post of the Year
A post in this community that has stuck in your mind for being particularly brilliant in some way.
Your most memorable posts of 2005 are...
- Achtoon Baby by achtoonbaby
- Bono the baby hippo by canadanne
- Did you know Bono's in the building? by corianderstem
- First ever Song of the Day by hue126
- I am a U2 fan by ladydeakin
- I met Bono today by ajamison
- Miracle drug by icymorning
- Some higher power by poco_pomme
- Tom Hanks = Bono by psykoboy2
Discussion of the Year
Most enjoyable or thought-provoking comment thread in this community.
The following threads got you thinking this year...
- Best and worst lyrics
- Concept album vs collection of songs
- Faith in the music
- Period in which you'd most like to see U2 perform live
- Songs you wish U2 would cover
- U2 dreams
- Whether long-term Prop members deserve better tickets
Poster of the Year
The overall most popular member of the community, who (for whatever reason) has made u2 an enjoyable place to be this year.
And the candidates for this highest honour are...
Suggested Extra Categories
There were four suggestions for extra categories, so you can vote in these too. There are no shortlists for these ones, just submit your answers freely and I'll post a full list of all the responses I get, along with the overall winner if there is one. :)
- Best looking U2 member in 2005
- Best U2 photography by a member of the community (multiple votes allowed)
- Best U2 icon-maker in the community (multiple votes allowed)
- Worst crime against fashion committed by a member of U2 in 2005
Congratulations to everyone who's made it onto the shortlists, and thanks to all those who contributed in putting the nominations together! Now comes the potentially difficult task of picking your winners. Please let's have a huge response to this, so the awards will be as fun and fair as possible!
THE VOTING RULES - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!!
1. To participate in the vote, go to this post in my personal journal. I have put together a voting form split into two halves (as the whole form would be too large for a single comment, annoyingly!). Copy the forms and paste them as comments there, marking your choices with an X. All comments will be screened to keep your votes confidential. (I'm doing this in my own journal so that absolutely no-one, not even my fellow mods, will be able to see the winners until the award ceremony!)
2. You can only vote for ONE NOMINEE in each category, unless otherwise stated.
3. You don't have to vote in every category, but please try to, otherwise this whole thing is going to fail spectacularly!
4. You CAN vote for yourself if you want to.
5. I will be counting the votes NEXT FRIDAY (30th December) so make sure you get yours in by then.
Now GET VOTING!! :)