[Unknown LJ tag]
1. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World - everybody at one time has asked themselves "how far you gonna go before you lose your way back home?"
2. Please - When I heard the lyrics for this song, I thought Bono would have to stop writing because he had written the song he had been trying to write his entire career.
3. Stay (Faraway, So Close) - A song about a girl who watches too much TV (think about it).
4. Until the End of the World - no other lyric so perfectly captures the sadness, anger, jealousy, euphoria, and self-absorption of betrayal.
5. New York - Works beautifully as a literal description and a metaphor.
6. The Wanderer - They needed to get a singer with as distinct a voice as Johnny Cash to make sure the lyrics stood out.
7. Gone - I heard a theory once that this song is Bono humming to himself, and that makes sense for me.
8. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
9. Grace - Generally dismissed by most, for an atheist like myself who marvels at people who give so much expecting nothing in return, this song is like Bono sitting down with me and explaining it to me.
10. The Ocean - Listening to Bono, at age 20 (or younger) sing "I felt the world could go far if they would listen to what I said" is very eery foreshadowing.