"Some Propaganda subscribers have reported receiving notification in their mailbox (snail mail) today that the fan club is being converted or replaced by an online version that will cost $40/year for new members, or $20 (for the first year) for existing Propaganda members who have issues of the magazine remaining on their subscription.
The letter lists these benefits of joining the U2.com "members only" section:
* Priority ticketing for the 2005 tour
* special introductory gift
* a U2.com e-mail address (e.g. yourname@U2.com)
* exclusive content features including on-the-road reports and diaries from next year's tour
* audio and video downloads
* access to a full U2.com and Propaganda story archive
* mobile phone content
* members-only message boards
* "regular newsletter"
* 25% discount on your first purchase at the U2 web store."
I don't know about you, but $40 seems awfully expensive for an online fan club... although an @u2.com e-mail address would be pretty cool. What are your thoughts?