Also, let's not have an overreaction about how U2 don't care about their fans. Let's count the ways, shall we?
1. U2 have the tendency to sign autographs for fans who wait outside the backstage area.
2. They still managed to do shows while Bono's dad lay dying an ocean away. They then performed at Slane days after he died.
3. When a bunch of fans waiting in line signed a letter asking them to play "When I Look at the World," they learned the chords and performed a snippet of it.
4. They didn't cancel the our after 9/11 while acts left and right were.
5. They pulled random fans out of the crowd and they got to jam with the band.
We could go on and on here.
Honestly, unless they're willing to release as many tickets as the people who signed up, U2 just shouldn't do internet pre-sales. They're a big fucking hassle and they piss too many people off to be worth it.